Thursday, March 22, 2012

Seventy-Two Hours Before She Died

For the past seven weeks our congregation at Calvary Christian Center has been reading a devotional book called “Follow” (Learning To Follow Jesus) written by Daniel McNaughton and Bryan Koch.

During my reading this week Daniel shares an entry from his sister’s journal. Maralyn’s entry was written seventy-two hours before she died.

I want to share her entry with you.

Water is essential to life, and even though food will no longer propel down my throat, I’m still drinking. Amazingly, I don’t feel hungry ... but I am thirsty, and I’m drinking as much as I possibly can. Without divine intervention, I will get to heaven some time within the month.

These 18 months since my ALS diagnosis have been the worst and best of my life. Worst because of my deteriorating body ... best because of my relationship with Christ.

And I’m beginning to see my friendship with Jesus like water when I’m thirsty ... so essential to life. He is the real “living water” referred to in John 4:1-26.

I have many lovely friends, but I’ve never before known a Friend SO close. Everyday we have smiled, laughed, and cried together. And He has comforted me. I’ve asked His opinion, and He has nodded one way or the other. His close friendship has given me many new perspectives on this earthly life that I had never considered before. He’s been closer than my skin...

The only thing that makes me sad is realizing that this intimate friendship with Him has been available to me all throughout my life, and I never chose it until now. I missed it ... big-time! I guess I was always so busy with my lists, projects, plans and events that I was too occupied to be open to such an idea. Oh, I did my devotions, but so often because I knew I “should.” That’s a different thing. Now I long to be with Him, to feel His hug, to hear His voice, to see His smile. It’s so different.

Here’s a piece of motherly advice: Don’t wait until you have a terminal illness to seek a true friendship with Jesus. He’s ready! It takes setting aside some less important things. It takes listening. It takes openness. But it’s so worth it! I hop you become literally thirsty for Jesus.

Soon I’ll be in heaven, and it will be great to see the scenery, gardens and mansions. It will be great to hear the singing and see what’s on the banquet tables. BUT! I can tell you, the thing I’m most looking forward to is meeting my Best Friend face-to-face for the very first time. I’m trying to imagine the thrill...


Maralyn passed away on January 4, 2009. She had Lou Gehrig’s disease.

Maralyn’s journal entry was full of HOPE because she knew what awaited her on the other side of this life.

My heart was challenged as I read that day. For it’s easy to busy one’s self with list, projects, plans and events and miss it big-time.

I pray for you today and leave you with Maralyn’s motherly advice: “Don’t wait until you have a terminal illness to seek a true friendship with Jesus. He’s ready! It takes setting aside some less important things. It takes listening. It takes openness. But it’s so worth it! I hop you become literally thirsty for Jesus.”

No comments: