Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pigs In The River

When he arrived at the other side in the region of the Gadarenes, two demon-possessed men coming from the tombs met him. They were so violent that no one could pass that way.  “What do you want with us, Son of God?” they shouted. “Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?”

Some distance from them a large herd of pigs was feeding. The demons begged Jesus, “If you drive us out, send us into the herd of pigs.”


He said to them, “Go!” So they came out and went into the pigs, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and died in the water. Those tending the pigs ran off, went into the town and reported all this, including what had happened to the demon-possessed men. Then the whole town went out to meet Jesus. And when they saw him, they pleaded with him to leave their region. Then the whole town went out to meet Jesus. And when they saw him, they pleaded with him to leave their region. 
Matthew 8:28-34
NIV Translation
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

  This morning I sit quietly imagining myself arriving with Jesus and his disciples as they made land in the region of the Gadarenes.

As we stepped out of the boat I saw two wild men running from the tombs toward us. I must confess my heart began to beat a little faster as the disciples and I looked at each other wondering what in the world was going on. It didn’t take long to realize they were not running toward us with excitement, but with great violence, and with the look of hatred shooting from their entire countenance.

They came right to Jesus and with a tone I have never heard come from any human they shouted out to Jesus, “What do you want with us, Son of God? Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?”

Jesus knowing exactly what was going on, He spoke to the demons that had total control over these two men. Before we knew, Jesus had commanded them to leave and we all stood in amazement as the large herd of pigs ran like crazy down a steep bank right into the water, where they died. The sight was so amazing we all stood there in shocked and speechless.

Then we saw the men tending the pigs run away so fast we kinda laughed, thinking, “We’ll never see them again.”

We all sat down with Jesus and the two men. I hung on every word as Jesus talked of the Kingdom of God with our newly found brothers in Christ.  When all of a sudden we heard the voices of many people coming our direction. Jesus stood up, just as the large crowd crested the top of the hill. The entire town had come out to meet Jesus. It didn’t take long to realize they were not happy with the loss of their pigs.

They we heard something that sent daggers into my heart as all the towns people began to plead with Jesus to leave their region. They wanted noting to do with him or his teaching. I could not believe my eyes and ears as I watched these grown men and women pleading and begging Jesus, the Son of the Living God, to leave them. With each plea they came closer and closer to us.  In total shock the disciples and I were the first to get back into the boat. Jesus boarded last.

In silence and with broken hearts, we pushed away from the bank and left the area.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
  
There is a song that has been in my mind a lot over the past few weeks. The words says, "I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold. I'd rather have him than riches untold. I'd rather have Jesus than man's applause. I'd rather be faithful to his dear cause. I'd rather be true to his holy name. I’d rather have Jesus that anything this world affords today."

Another song that comes to mind..."Take this old world but give me Jesus. No turning back...no turning back!" 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Jesus, today I want you to know you mean more to me than anything this world has to offer. How thankful I am that you have come to me and I will never send you away!

Check out some of my other blogs and let me know what you think...
http://cccenterhope.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-did-i-miss-that.html

 
http://cccenterhope.blogspot.com/2012/08/its-all-gods-fault_13.html  

 
http://cccenterhope.blogspot.com/2012/09/gods-living-hope.html

 
http://cccenterhope.blogspot.com/2012/07/i-am-free.html

 
http://cccenterhope.blogspot.com/2012/04/transition-vs-transformation.html


http://cccenterhope.blogspot.com/2012/03/choose-your-battles_14.html

 
http://cccenterhope.blogspot.com/2012/08/easy-as-abc.html



426 Laurelwood Road
Pottstown, PA 19465
610-323-0480

Feel free to e-mail me at:

No comments: